Friday, October 23, 2009

Maybe I'm just weird

but for almost a year before my surgery I didn't want to buy clothes that I thought would bring attention to me, didn't want to get my hair cut, didn't want to do my nails anymore....any clothes or makeup that I bought I told myself I wouldn't use until after the surgery. Anything to keep people from looking at me. I actually bought some clothes that I really liked and waited till after surgery to wear them. Am I the only one? Anyway, I got my splint out on wednesday (and for anyone who's wondering, like I was, it doesn't hurt! he just cuts the wires and the thing falls out and you rush to the sink to brush your nasty mouth), and now I feel like I can go out and do stuff...and I did get a pumpkin spice latte and drank it in public and it WAS awesome. I actually had one yesterday and today and possibly tomorrow :-). So yesterday was my first outing to a restaurant. Chris had gotten a birthday coupon for one free meal at texas de brazil. While I obviously can't have steak, they still had an amazing amount of delicious food for me to choose from. it was very nice. and tonight I went out to the mall with one of my best friends...she is the sweetest...and she has the same orthodontist, what are the odds lol.

I don't think that most people really understand why I had the surgery or that it was COMPLETELY medically necessary. They don't understand that it's a deformity that has to be fixed through surgery. They don't understand how major the surgery really is, or how much it affects EVERY aspect of your life. There wasn't any amount of time that I wasn't thinking about it or stressing over it. This deformity had a hand in even the smallest of decisions in my life...and I don't think people can really understand it. Not unless you experience it. This blog and connecting with people who understand has kept me sane. Thank you all so much!

For those of you that have asked, the depression is not because of the surgery. Leading up to the surgery and everything I had to go through beforehand did contribute some but was still not the cause. The surgery has helped and I'm so grateful that I had it and that everything worked out and that I seem to be healing well. so thankful.

Goodnight all!


7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your confidence is building! You look absolutely Gorgeous!

    The before and after is just amazing. And for those people who don't get it...that's their problem! Now you can go out with confidence and buy the clothes that you want to and feel good about it!

    Glad you are doing well. Thanks for the update on the splint...I was wondering. I have one more week...can't wait. Are you allowed to chew now and are you restricted from eating certain things?

    Enjoy being splint free and your new look! So excited to hear your news :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it felt awesome to get out and live a little, and it probably felt amazing to get that splint out... :) I know what you mean about the pre-surgery changes. I don't want to get my hair cut till after the surgery. I think my face shape is going to change... but I already know what I am going to get done after. :) Congratulations! And keep us posted.
    Love and Support Always, Makay :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie- Thank you, you are so sweet! My OS said I can eat things "the consistency of baked fish" then he went on to scare me with a story about one of his other patients...She was eating corn on the cob (really?) and heard a loud crack...her upper jaw is loose now. who knew?

    Makay- I did the same thing with my hair...always wanted short hair but I liked hiding behind long hair. What do you think you're going to do to your hair? have you tried that website where you can try on different hairstyles? so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look wonderful! I was the same way pre-op and sort of post op too, about not wanting to really be "seen". I find myself hiding out--alot. That's not really like me, hopefully I (and you too) will be able to shop, eat and be out in public with no problems very soon! lol I'm glad to see that you're doing well, and you just look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corey, I always thought you were pretty, but now, you are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, I totally feel for you and can relate. Before the surgery, I was really self-conscious about a lot of stuff. I'm glad you're doing better...I think you really look amazing and you deserve all the happiness in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful! It sounds like your confidence is growing more and more by the day. Glad to hear that splint is out too!!

    ReplyDelete